Saturday, April 6, 2013

2013 Progressive Poem




Kidlitosphere Progressive Poem 2013



When you listen to your footsteps
the words become music and
the rhythm that you’re rapping gets your fingers tapping, too.
Your pen starts dancing across the page
a private pirouette, a solitary samba until
smiling, you’re beguiling, as your love comes shining through.

Tomorrow’s line comes from Janet Fagal.

I love writing rhyme. After thirty years of directing a laboratory Pre-School, it’s a part of me. The children loved story time, but rhyming picture books were the biggest hit. So I guess when an idea strikes me for a picture book, it almost always comes in rhyme.

Older kids like rhyme too, but what changes is the topic: humor for boys, and some girls, flowery for most girls, and some boys. Sometimes it’s the form. Teachers make use of haikus in class, as well as couplets and free verse.

Poems that are puzzles, like a cleave poem, are also a hit with older kids.

Always have a paper and writing instrument handy. You never know when ideas will strike you. Get the gist down and the rhyme and beat will follow. J

Another thing that is essential to writing poetry is a good critique group. I’ve been a member of THE POETS’ GARAGE for several years. As a collective unit we’ve churned out thousands of poems, some in children’s magazines, some in poetry anthologies for children, and some of us also have, or will have, rhyming picture books published.

In fact, you’ve already heard from our newest member, Matt. And following me you will be hearing from several more. So, long live children’s poetry and enjoy our progressive poem. You can follow the poem by checking in at the blogs in the sidebar.

Warm regards,
Gayle C. Krause



12 comments:

  1. I'm so excited you brought in rhyme, Gayle! I'll be vary curious to see if it sticks as the poem progresses.

    Yay for Poets' Garage! I'm so happy to be a part of it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I'd better check out Poets' Garage! I'm not familiar with it.

    I like the way you echoed Matt's internal rhyme and then rhymed your ending with his line as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the "smiling" and "beguiling", a love story unfolding. With a long way to go, there might be a conflict in there somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking the same about the rhyme, and counting lines to see mine will be a third...hmm... Will every third line have internal rhyme? We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome, Gayle. I love that you rhymed! Very nice. And...
    Go Poets' Garage...I hang out there, too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you brought some rhyme into this. Good line, Gayle. And yay, Garage!
    -- Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant way to resolve what our ears were aching for, Gayle!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great line, the vibrancy and rhyme give some zestiness. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your comments. It will be interesting to see if "rhyme" continues throughout the poem. I hope it does. It makes it more challenging.

    And now I'm off to read the next line.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like the fact that you've continued the internal rhyme...it really underscores the rhythm & musicality of the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh big fat smile. This is just fun to read....I am tapping too! Thank you. And thank you for the introduction to cleave poetry too.

    ReplyDelete